Bubba Medford and Diane Abney both left this world for a better place this morning, and that makes me sad. While technically, I share no blood relation to both Bubba and Diane, I very much feel like they are part of my family, as there have been very few holidays and major events in my life that I have not shared with them both. I make no promises that this blog will pay tribute or do justice to the good works of their lives (though Bubba would like to lead you to believe that he did no good), I will try my best to reflect on what their lives have meant to me and those I love most.
Bubba is the brother of my Aunt Tempe (wife of my dad's twin brother Jerrell), and Diane is her cousin. Those of you familiar with Lufkin will recognize the last names: Abney and Medford, most famous for their hardware stores. Bubba was a Medford and Diane, an Abney. Bubba and Diane both left this world within 10 minutes of each other; Bubba suffered from a heart attack and Diane lost her long battle with Hepatitis C. While I loved Bubba and Diane both, I am most sad about how this will effect people I love even more: most of all, my Aunt Tempe, Uncle Jerrell and cousins Scott and Kathryn along with Jeff, Steven, Greg, Allison, Paul, David, and their families.
I don't believe that I have ever celebrated a Christmas Eve at Tempe and Jerrell's without Bubba and Diane. For a time, Bubba lived in our guest house... and it was the most fun for my brothers and I. I remember being in school at St. Cyprian's and pretending to be sick so I could stay home because Bubba would take care of us and that meant watching whatever movies we wanted and getting whatever we wanted to eat for lunch. I will also remember Bubba for having to wear turtlenecks in non-winter weather after we broke out from wringworms after he adopted a stray cat we found at our house. Bubba would like to pretend that he was a loner in life and had very little need for anyone else, but those of us who knew him well, knew that was not true. I remember distinctly the last time I saw him, and while I am still in shock that it will indeed be the last time I see him here on earth, I remember it well. It was just a little over a month ago when I was home for Blake's wedding and we had convinced Tempe that she should have lunch at the cabin. It turned out to be quite a crowd: Tempe, Jerrell, Kathryn, Scott, Brook, Ella, Eric, me, Jay, Jeff, Cadence, Steven, and Bubba (maybe even Greg). At the time I knew our time together was special, though I did not realize that it was because it would be our last big family gathering before Bubba's passing. For someone who pretended he didn't need family, Bubba made quite a few appearances at Sunday lunch... I can still remember how Ella, just learning to talk in complete sentences, would insist that Bubba's chair was next to hers. Since I have moved to Austin (which is almost 4 years now), there have been very few trips to Lufkin where I haven not seen Bubba.
While Diane wasn't a regular appearance at our Sunday lunches (someone had to be working the store, afterall), she has very much been a staple at family events. She leaves this world as a loving wife, mother, grandmother, and friend. Her battle was long, and at times hard, but I know she wouldn't change her circumstances at all. I feel so much for Tyler and Jaxson who lost their grandmother all too soon, and the same for Jeff and David, who lost their mom.
I will always remember Bubba for his lottery tickets, boot-legged movies, flannel shirts, and missing tooth (I know this probably doesn't sound picturesque, but it's Bubba). I will remember Diane's laugh, her love for her family, and her warmth. May you Rest In Peace...
No comments:
Post a Comment