Monday, August 4, 2008

It's going to be a dry month...

I have decided that I am not going to drink during the month of August. No, I do not feel like I am an alcoholic nor do I think I have a problem with drinking too much. I am doing this to get a jump start on my 1/2 marathon training and to get back on track after a hectic and slightly lazy summer. I gave up alcohol for Lent and didn't have a problem, so I'm confident that this month long abstention will be a breeze.
Most people who are not drinking find it difficult to go out to bars and have fun. It doesn't really phase me much. Friday after boot camp and our weekly Wanfu dinner, I ventured downtown to meet up with my friend Michelle and some of her friends. People-watching can be quite entertaining when you're completely sober and I don't mind playing the role of designated driver one bit.
The rest of the weekend went really well with working at Bath and Body Works, going for a little 4 1/2 mile run with some friends, and enjoying dinner and a little Rock Band playing at Bunker's on Saturday night.
I'm very impressed with myself and how well I did on the 4 1/2 run. Two weekends ago Andrea and I went for a run at Brushy Creek and I was struggling to get a mile. This weekend, I just kept telling myself to keep a steady pace and to not push myself to run too fast and I did MUCH better. I walked less than 1/2 a mile of the run! I think the time difference also helped. Two weeks ago we ran at 8:30 a.m. and the last half of the run the sun was beating down on my face. Saturday we started at 7:30 pm and it was almost dark by the time we finished... much more pleasant to run in! I also kept a more positive outlook about the run with having Andrea, Sarah and Drea there.
1 weekend down, 4 to go!

1 comment:

The Durham Family said...

I'm very proud of you for running 4 1/2 miles!!!!!