Saturday, February 21, 2009

Finally!

Though most of my blog readers are probably aware of this information by now, it is with great pleasure that I report that I am gainfully employed! It's been a crazy past few days. CRAZY. And unfortunately, I don't think things are going to slow down any more between now and June 1.

I am going to spend the next couple of months as an Assistant Clerk for one of the Committees for the Texas House of Representatives. I already know all of the people I'm going to be working with, and I'm really excited about it. I've been able to gather some experience in "Committee Land" with my time of the Legislature, but thus far it's all been Interim experience. This position will give me the opportunity to work more on actual policy crafting and working the bill-making process a little more than I have in the past.

The last two days I've undergone a couple of training and orientation sessions, and it hasn't been over my head at all. Having a few years experience with the Legislature gives me a working knowledge of the process, and now I'm just going to be learning the logistics. In all honesty, I think this is something I could be really good at. At the very least, I'm going to be learning new skills and making new contacts... which can never hurt.

There's only one big, huge bummer about this position (minus the fact that it's Session Only): Our committee hearings are scheduled for 8 am on Thursday mornings. That means I will be AT WORK not later than 6 am! And I am SO not a morning person...

It also means that my blogs might be few and far between in the upcoming months... but I will update as I can.

This weekend has been fun because Lindsey and Madelyn came to visit. Jay was going on a guys' camping trip, but Jesse had an asthma attack so he and Josh showed up at my apartment tonight. Madelyn's visit has just re-confirmed Smokey and Giada's absolute hatred for small children. It's just too bad Madelyn didn't get the memo because she LOVES the kitties and is constantly running around the apartment looking for the KIII-EY!

No comments: