I saw a commercial on television last night that almost gave me nightmares. It was an iPhone commercial about a fun, new application you can download on your phone called Loopt. Here is the tagline of info I pulled from the Loopt website: With Loopt, turn your iPhone into a social compass. Pinch, tap and drag an interactive map to find where your friends are and what they’re doing. Connect on the fly, share photos and tips on cool places.
We have now taken stalking to a whole new, frightening, level, my friends. Granted, I'm sure you can only view the location of people who agree to be your friends. And the program even allows you to put yourself into hiding so that your location can not be viewed. But I just can't imagine that this is a GOOD thing.
I'm not going to sit here and say that I don't enjoy a little facebook and blog stalking myself. My life would be incredibly dull without it. But there's a line that is crossed when you allow yourself to be GPSed to be located by your friends. And while I'm not exactly afraid of "Big Brother" and don't expect black helicopters to be landing outside my house at any moment, you have to think that even though you can turn off the GPS tracking feature for your friends to see, once you open yourself up to that sort of tracking there's no complete closing of that door.
So I'm asking all of my friends out there with iPhones to just say no to Loopt. Thank you, iPhone for making my decision to stick with Blackberry come December so much easier...
1 comment:
Its so funny that you said that because I thought the exact same thing when I saw that on TV. Creepy!
Post a Comment