I had an e-mail from my Aunt Joyce this morning. My dad had told her about a picture of me that was recently in the Lufkin Daily News, and she wanted to know all about it. The funny thing is, I had no clue what she was talking about! No one had told me my picture had been in the paper. I called my dad to ask him about it and he said he opened the paper a few days ago, to a section he never even reads, and there was my picture staring up at him.
Now, my picture has graced the pages of the good ol' LDN on many occasions in my life. C.A.R. and DAR enjoy putting things in the paper, and pictures seem to get the most notice. However, this particular occasion caught me off guard because 1) I haven't done anything requiring recognition lately and 2) I am no longer a member of my Lufkin DAR Chapter, and being the only active person left with the C.A.R. Society, I would be the only person sending something to the paper.
At the beginning of September I attended the annual DAR Fall Forum here in Austin. It's something that I go to every year since it's 10 minutes from my house. This year I was on paging duty for Lynn, our State Regent, for whom I am a personal page. I was the only one out of the four of us going this year... so I got to do the honors. Well, Polly and another woman from Lufkin were at the meeting (I don't know the other woman because she became active in the Anthony Smith Chapter after I moved to Austin). They came up and chatted with me and then snapped a picture with me and Lynn, and I guess sent it to the Lufkin Daily News. And I probably wouldn't have ever known about it if my Aunt Joyce hadn't asked! My parents are HORRIBLE with telling me things, my dad hadn't even remembered to show my mom yet. The paper would have probably stayed in the truck for the next 2 years until one day I noticed it when moving it out of the way to make room to sit. No really, that's probably what would have happened. It made me laugh.
Candice and I gave Smokey a bath last night. She was NOT a fan. She's getting these weird patches in her hair where it's matted together... we figure it must be dander build-up. Her sister Giada has shorter hair and has not been prone to this problem. The bath didn't even help the situation, and we took the scissors to her hair to cut out the patches... so she's looking really pretty at the moment. I'm thinking we may need to get her shaved...
And in response to the Election, I really wish people would take a look at the Constitution so they could get a full understanding of what exactly the Separation of Powers entails. The President doesn't make policy, he makes policy SUGGESTIONS. And while I realize the Democrats now hold a stronger majority in Congress, they haven't been able to get any "change" accomplished while being the majority for the last two years (And don't blame Bush, at 10 vetos he has vetoed fewer bills than ANY other modern President), so I'm going to believe in "change" when I actually see it... the only actual change that comes with election to office is the name plate on the door. That being said, you will not find me making an empty threat to move to another country nor making any personal attacks against our President-elect. He deserves our respect because of his position, though it entertains me immensely that most people demanding we give him that respect have not been the most respectful to our current Commander-in-Chief.
No comments:
Post a Comment