Friday, July 25, 2008

Why do today what you can put off until the next day? Or the next day... or the next day...

I truly believe I am one of the world's greatest procrastinators. I think I would procrastinate procrastinating if I could. Case in point: I returned from home last Tuesday, July 15 from my trip to D.C. Today is Friday, July 25, and have I unpacked my two suitcases? NOPE!
I procrastinate in every aspect of my life it seems. I procrastinate in the morning by snoozing as long as possible (I'll work out in the evening instead, I can wear my hair curly today instead of drying my hair, I just washed my hair yesterday... it can go another day). I wait until my gas tank has hit at least 300 miles before filling it up (no matter how low the guage goes into the red). I don't think I have ever ONCE gotten the oil changed in my car on time in the ten years I've driven it. Most of my bills get paid on-line on the due date.
I have no idea why I procrastinate so bad and I often wonder where this trait comes from... I do believe that some of it has to be genetic: My dad has always paid the bills on the due date and always spends every April 15 working until almost midnight preparing the family's taxes.
My goal is to procrastinate less. I've done a good job this week with making sure everything is cleared off of my desk before I leave for the day instead of rushing to get through the pile on Friday afternoons of things that have accumulated over the week. I am determined to use my Bath and Body Works-free weekend to get my suitcases unpacked, do laundry, and get caught up on cleaning around the apartment. Oh, and to do a little belated birthday celebrating with my friends in Austin.

No comments: