Thursday, October 13, 2011

THE dress...

Well, I finally did it. After contemplating for two weeks, and trying on many, many dresses... I bit the bullet and ordered my wedding dress! While I'm not going to share the details of the dress here (and I should probably start refraining from showing anyone and everyone who even mentions the words "wedding" and "dress" around me), I will share with you some of my favorites that were under consideration while shopping.

What we found amusing while dress shopping was that I didn't have a particular style of dress that I went for. I definitely needed an a-line skirt (love those hips of mine), we figured out that a sash was the perfect accessory to accentuate my waste, and we discussed sleeve options for every dress that didn't already have them (Ganny always said I shouldn't get married in a church in a sleeveless dress)... but other than that, the similarities stopped there. The top 3 contenders were absolutely nothing alike other than they were white dresses.


Prior to shopping, this Monique Llhullier Bliss dress was my absolute favorite. I'm a little bummed that I didn't get a chance to try it on. The one bridal shoppe in Austin that carries the line didn't have this sample (or really any samples for this line because they're in the midst of a huge rennovation), but after looking at the lace detail for another MLB dress and going by what I learned from trying on other dresses, the lace and the cap sleeves might have been a little too much for me on top.


I was really surprised that I loved this Jim Hjelm beauty as much as I did. Kathryn wanted me to try it on. Loved how preppy chic it is, but it's a bit more of a fashion statement than I want to make on my wedding day. I may not love this dress in 50 years as much as I do now.


Had never fancied myself as an all-over lace dress kind of a gal, but my shopping posse all said this was the kind of dress they had envisioned me in. It even looked nice when we added little cap sleeves to it. This Wtoo dress was #2 for me, but I wasn't as wowed with the style when I tried it on a second time.


Subtract the huge black bow (because I certainly didn't try it on with this bow), and you get a dress that is very similar to the Monique Llhullier dress that I adored prior to shopping. I was definitely intrigued by this Tara Keely dress, but to be honest, the sales girl at this shoppe just wasn't rockin' it. Kathryn stepped up when it came to accessorizing and really trying to pull together the whole bridal look. The lace was also kind of see-through, it definitely would have had to have an additional layer of lining up top.


I hadn't even considered the possibility of a one-shoulder dress, though I've been obsessed with one-shoulder dresses for the bridesmaids. We tried this Jasmine dress with another sash and were quite smitten with it. The price tag was also pretty dang exciting (under $1000). Lindsey sent a picture of me in this dress to her mom so Madelyn could see and she said "Wow!". May have considered this dress more if it hadn't been the first stop of the day and if the service at the salon had been better.


This Vineyard gown was listed as my #2 choice from the first shoppe. Too be honest, I really don't remember what it looked like on me. I think we liked the sweet-heart neckline and the big bow on the front.


This Venus dress was ranked as the #3 choice overall. It was at the last store we went to, and everyone else loved it way more than I did. It was by far the best bargain of the day, and I'm not sure if that's what made it everyone's favorite or if they were just drunk on toile at that point. I liked the dress, but the style of rouching is very popular and I wanted more of a less popular look for my wedding dress.


So, there you have it... all of the almost "THE" dresses. I'm really excited about the dress that I chose. It was one that I had liked while doing research (pretty sure I've looked at every wedding dress there is on the internet). Now you'll just have to wait until April 28 to see THE dress : )

No comments: