Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The proposal


I actually sat down to write this post weeks ago, but never got around to finishing it.


Hopefully if you're reading this blog, you're aware by now that I'm engaged! Steven surprised me in Washington, DC on July 1 with a proposal. And, you've probably already read about how he did it by reading the President General of DAR's blog (http://blog.dar.org/2011/07/02/a-surprise-marriage-proposal-at-continental-congress/).... but I figured I should probably tell everyone (and put down in writing) my side of the story... so here goes...

I left for Washington, DC for DAR Continental Congress (our annual national meeting) on Friday, June 24 with plans to return back to Texas on Sunday, July 3. Because of the current position I hold on the National level (National Vice Chairman of the Junior Shoppe), I have to be in DC for that long. Set-up for the Shoppe began on Saturday morning and continued through Sunday and then the Shoppe was open for business from Monday-Saturday from 8 am-4 pm. In the Shoppe we sell various DAR products (think embroidered bath robes, patriotic jewelry, notepads, etc.) to raise money for the Helen Pouch Memorial Fund which supports the DAR Schools (there are 6 schools across the country which DAR supports). This summer we did a little over 54,000 in sells in 6 days.

As you can see, I was a busy girl. Managing the Shoppe required me to be at the hall no later than 7:45 am and to leave sometimes not until 6 pm. Talk about long days on vacation! My evenings were full, too. I either attended meetings or made plans with friends who live in the DC area, or DAR friends whom I don't get to see very often. I tell you all of this so you can understand just how surprised I was to see Steven when I walked into the President General's Reception Room.

Friday was no exception to the busy days at DAR. I spent the morning working at the Shoppe and then we had the official Congress Page picture with the President General. Following the Congress Page picture, I went to lunch with the Texas girls at Cosi up the street. We always plan this lunch on Friday because there are quite a few of us, and we've all got various duties and positions, so this is a time we can all meet and socialize. After our lunch, I returned to the Shoppe to work for a bit before the Junior Membership committee report. When a National Chairman gives her report, the Vice Chairmen of the committee are invited to be seated in the President General's box in the auditorium, so they can be recognized at the end of the report. They run that box like clockwork! You are escorted in at the beginning for your Chairman's report, you listen for the two minutes, stand at the end, and then are escorted out of the box.

As I exited the Hall after leaving the box, my friend Lindsey grabbed my arm and said that Zia needed to see me in the President General's Reception Room. Zia is a page in the Reception Room, so that's where you would normally find her. She had been "sick" all day, so I immediately thought something horrible had happened. Little did I know that she had just been pretending to be "sick" all day just to have a reason to get me into the room!

I come into the Reception Room and I see Zia, standing in a line with a number of other Texas DAR ladies. She looks perfectly fine, and the professional photographer Marshall is there, so I think that we must be taking some kind of picture that I wasn't aware of. After many years of picture taking, I take my cue and go to the end of the line to be in the picture.

At this point, my DAR mother Pamela, looks at me and asks if I'm okay. I tell her yes, I'm great; I've just been in the PG's box for Morgan's report and now I'm here (I was a little perplexed because I was supposed to be meeting her at Hamilton to look at pins at 2, which was right then). At that point, the waters parted and the ladies revealed a handsome fella in a suit sitting in a chair. After a second, I realized that it was my handsome fella!

I think it took a few seconds for me to process that Steven was sitting there because he was supposed to be in Houston visiting his parents for his Dad's birthday. I had been too busy that day to even think about calling him, so I had no idea he had actually spent the morning on a plane to surprise me in DC!

He says I immediately started crying when I saw him, and I believe him, though I can't really remember. Figuring he shouldn't waste any time before he loses his nerve, he grabs my hand and drops to one knee and proposed, though neither of us can really remember what was said. I know that he said "Jamie Perry Durham, this has been the best year of my life..." but that's all I've got.

It was a beautiful proposal, and quite a surprise(which was what Steven wanted most for our marriage proposal)! Afterwards, I found out just how many people had been in on the secret and how long they had kept it from me. Let's just say I won't be playing poker with any of these DAR ladies anytime soon.

I walked out of the Reception Room with a look of shock on my face and word began to spread that I had been proposed to at DAR. Our afternoon was filled with lots of phone calls to family and friends, lots of introductions to various DAR ladies, and then a fun evening of celebrating with some dear friends. Couldn't have been more perfect if I'd planned it myself!

And there you have it, our proposal : )

2 comments:

Paula said...

CONGRATS again! tres cute. I hear from Marianne that you and my cousin Sarah have selected the same wedding day, which I think is ALSO cute! 4/28, right? xo Paula

Unknown said...

Thanks! And oh my goodness, what are the odds that we'd pick the same day?