I have long known that Lufkin is everywhere. For a small town, it gets around. It's very rare to meet anyone (at least in Texas) that doesn't know of the place or know someone from there. And you'd never believe how many people I've run into OUT of state that have some tie to Lufkin.
Last night I attended a happy hour for Junior League provisional members. I am a member of the largest provisional class the Junior League of Austin has ever had, there's more than 200 of us. So needless to say, I don't know everyone.
I sit down at the table and start talking to the girl that's sitting next to me. We are having the standard "get to know you" conversation, as we haven't crossed paths thus far in our provisional year. She's telling me about how she actually works in College Station at Texas A&M and her husband is enrolled in the MBA program at UT. Right now she stays with one of her best friend's in College Station three nights a week and is back home in Austin for the weekend. She asks me what I do for a living and I tell her I work at the Capitol. She then asked the question which almost always immediately follows, "Did you go to UT?" I tell her no, I went to SFA and that I'm originally from Lufkin. She then tells me that the best friend she stays with in College Station is marrying a guy from Lufkin, and maybe I know him? It is at that point that we discover that not only do I know the guy, but my twin brother is a groomsman in the wedding (and she's a bridesmaid)!
Talk about a small world. We go on to discuss this for a bit. I warn her about one of the other groomsmen (Jesse), and she tells me oh, yeah, she's heard. It's her responsibility to keep said groomsman away from the microphone because at the last wedding he gave a toast that was just senseless rambling. Yep, that was at my twin brother's wedding. And to tell another quick funny story, the bride and groom numbered their response cards so it would be easier to match up the responses. Jesse's card was #14. On his reply card, he listed the top ten reasons why he should be in the top ten. I would LOVE to see that.
No comments:
Post a Comment