It is with a very heavy heart that I write this.
My cousin Karla suffered a massive brain hemorrhage yesterday and will be taken off life support sometime today. My cousin, who would be celebrating a birthday this week (I believe 52). My cousin, who didn't smoke or drink and walked almost every day. My cousin, who is leaving behind two beautiful daughters, a senior in high school and an 8th grader. I am overwhelmed with shock, grief, and sadness for my family.
I just spoke to Karla on Tuesday. I've been planning the big meet-the-fam trip to Lufkin for this weekend with the boyfriend. We were going to attend Lufkin's Homecoming football game with Karla this Friday. She was so excited for us to tailgate with some of the extended family before the game. Instead, I will be attending her funeral this week.
This loss has hit me incredibly hard. I've cried more tears than I've cried in a very long time. My family has had it's share of losses this year: my great uncle Ralph, great aunt Kathryn, cousin Bob, and now we will lose Karla.
There are so many memories. My friends will remember the trip to Splashtown that we took one summer in high school with complimentary tickets from Karla. They will also remember the dinner she co-hosted with my Aunt Judy at Roma's my Senior year of high school. Of course, they will remember her yummy stuffed french toast recipe that they beg my mom to make for us. I will remember the summer I spent babysitting Amy when she was just 2 years old. I also remember the many Christmas Eve's and Christmas brunches, the countless weekends at the lake, the endless skipbo games with Ganny and Great Aunt Margaret.
She's leaving us far too soon, but I know her mother Margaret and my Ganny are so happy to welcome her to heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment