Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Committment Issues.

Since moving to Austin, I've had some serious committment issues. And no, I'm not talking about relationships (though I'm sure there's a case to be made for that, given my perpetual single status), I'm talking about my need to move every year. In the 5 1/2 years that I've lived in Austin, I've moved every single year. One year I moved THREE times!

Of course, I can't take full credit for my need to move. It hasn't all been my fault. Most of you know, I'm quite the good luck charm when it comes to engagements. This all started with my roommate Ashley. We lived together for probably 2 1/2 years total. We got cats together. Obviously, we were very committed to one another until she met Cody. And not even four months later, they were engaged! Ashley cracks me up because she holds the title for shortest time until engagement and longest engagement, since they still haven't gotten hitched! She is in the middle of completing PA school, so the relationship has been long distance for the last year or so.

After Ashley moved out, I was going to live by myself since I couldn't find a roommate. In walks Candace, a fellow SFAer looking to make a move to Austin to work in the political arena. A mutual friend introduced us, and I helped her find her first job. It was great timing since I needed a new roomie! She moves in, and low and behold, meets a guy (or I should say, becomes romantically interested in a fellow she has been friends with for a while), gets engaged, and is now married... all happening in less than a year (and no, there are no babies involved)!

After that, I decided I was tired of having to find a new roommate AND move every single year... so I decided to get a place by myself. It's in the same complex that Candace and I lived in, so it wasn't much of a hassle to move.

Well, I am happy to report, that I signed my lease renewal on Sunday and for the first time since I have moved to Austin, I AM NOT MOVING! I was annoyed because they upped my rent a little, but it's within my budget so we're good to go. Tanya, who actually worked at the last complex Ashley and I lived in as well, offered me a better apartment for basically the same rent I will start paying in August, but I just really, really, really don't want to move.

I feel more settled and grown-up not having to send out an updated adress to all of my family, friends, and various organizations I belong to for the first time in forever. It's such a hassle! Now that I've worked through my obvious living committment issues, maybe we can move onto my relationship issues, ha ha.

No comments: