Tuesday, January 20, 2009

...And then a cat peed on my bed.

It was an awful weekend. Terrible. Completely crap-tastic.

I was pulled into some drama that I wasn't prepared for. I have been asked not to go into the goury details on the world wide web, so I will spare everyone from the specifics. I will just say that my Saturday night and Sunday afternoon were not spend how I planned: going out with friends and playing a little tennis with Bunker. Instead, I got to make a stop at the hospital and enjoyed some quality time with five of Austin's finest.

On Sunday evening I found myself completely emotionally drained. In a short period of time I found myself experiencing a wide variety of emotions: fear, frustration, anger, sadness, relief, and just a sense of being completely overwhelmed.

I did learn two very important lessons this weekend. First, no matter how hard you want to help someone and no matter how much you love them, you can't help someone that doesn't help themselves and you can't make them understand that you love them if they aren't willing to accept that. I also learned that I have some amazing friends who are ready to drop anything (even date night) to be there for me. I am very fortunate to have such a source of support in my life.

I have no idea what is to come from the events of this weekend, but I can only hope for the best.

And to top it all off? One of the cats peed on my bed Saturday night. At least it was on the other side of the bed and I just stuck my foot in it instead of completely rolling over onto it. And the cats are just lucky I have no idea which one of them did it (though if I had to bet, I'd say Smokey).

On this historic day, I am thankful that I live in a country where every adult citizen has the ability to participate in the process to choose our leaders. I am thankful that the transition of change in these leaders is done so peacefully and not by force or violence. I am thankful for those who are concluding their service to our country and wish nothing but the best for those who are beginning that service.

No comments: