This past weekend I did a very brave thing. My precious niece Madelyn came to visit for the weekend! This was the first time for me to have her 1) overnight and 2) for three days. I'm still recovering from her visit!
On Friday afternoon, I drove to Waco to meet Lindsey, Madelyn and Jace since that's about the half-way point between Austin and Dallas. From Waco, Mady and I went to Navasota for the C.A.R. State Workshop. This was her third trip to C.A.R. Workshop, and she always has a blast, but it was the first time for us to stay overnight. I'm pretty sure she didn't stop talking from the moment we got in the car at 3 until she finally fell asleep at 11:30. We went to McDonald's for dinner, played on the playground, swam at the hotel pool, and played with her friends while the big kids had skit practice that night.
The next morning we headed to Washington-on-the-Brazos state park for the actual Workshop. I was the Workshop chairman, so I had actual work to do besides watching a rambunctious 4 year old. Madelyn is always sweet to help out and she passed out stickers to everyone who registered and then helped with handing out the boxed lunches. Besides that, she did a whole lot of running and playing. One of these days she'll actually pay attention to the meeting...
After the workshop we headed back to Austin to Uncle Steven's for a slumber party. I figured it would be best to give my cats some peace and quiet the weekend before their big de-claw surgery on Monday. For dinner we headed to Dave and Buster's. It's amazing how much you can get the girl to eat when you're bribing her with video games afterwards! After lots of video game playing we left and stopped for ice cream on the way home. Uncle Steven is a huge sucker and not only let Mady have a blizzard, but bought her a second round of ice cream before we left.
Madelyn had said all day that she wanted to stay up all night long. She made quite a valiant effort in doing this, we watched Shrek and Shrek Ever After and she finally dozed off around midnight. I had to be sneaky with my sleeping on the couch because anytime she noticed my eyes were closed she'd wake me up! We enjoyed donuts for breakfast and a nice bubble bath (Steven has a huge garden tub with jacuzzi jets) before heading back to Waco to meet Lindsey and Jace for lunch and give back sweet Mady.
It was a wonderful but exhausting weekend with sweet Madelyn, and I look forward to many more visits with her... I'll just make sure to get plenty of rest in the few days prior to her coming.
The CAts had their declaw surgery on Monday. All went well, minus Smokey biting a technician. She had quite the reputation at the vet, when I went to pick them up I had to get her out of their cage and into her cat carrier... she had scared everyone else with her hissing! They seem to be doing okay with the recovery, very much like their normal selves, just a little slower and a little lazier. And let me tell you, I'm very glad that they don't have claws, otherwise there's no way I'd get them to take their pain medications without some serious damage to myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment